Saturday 28 April 2018

Clog boots

I bought these clogs online but they arrived a bit damaged. There was a dent in the wood. So I sent them a message and they kindly sent me a new pair.
Time for an experiment.
I always fancied having clog boots but they are rather expensive. Correction: they cost a lot of money. As they will last you a lifetime they are worth every penny. Pennies I don' have at the moment. And as any creative tight person would think: I can do this myself. So let's see...

I asked my husband if he had any worn out army boots as we have the same shoe size. Turned out he had plenty in his collection. I choose one with a leaky bottom but with a good top. And I cut the bottom off with a Stanley knife.

It is very interesting to see how many layers go into such a boot.
Then I put the leather top over the clog. I considered the option of taking the clog leather off completely but I kinda liked the stability it gave.
I used a hammer and a small screwdriver to tap out the rivets of the strap (which I will reattach later)

Now... how to attach the boot to the Clog?
The thing was that the boot leather was just not quite long enough for me to staple it to the wood. No matter how I pulled it.
So what does any creative thinking leatherworker do? Attach a piece of leather at the bottom to make it longer. And the only way was to sew it on.

I found a piece that was the right thickness and cut it to length. Then I used my teethed prong and a hammer to make holes all along the edges. I got a bit overzealous and did the bottom side too. Which I didn' need to do because that is where the staples were going to be. I will make it into a happy design feature later 😉

I dyed the leather black and started sewing.
 


No comments: